11 Sensible Methods to Use Twitter Superior Search
Twitter isn’t simply the birthplace of cutting-edge humor or the highest place to seek out breaking information. Due to Twitter’s superior search options, it’s additionally a surprisingly sturdy search engine.
Twitter’s superior search capabilities are among the app’s most well-kept secrets and techniques. Nonetheless, in the event you grasp the instrument, you’ll be able to dig deep and revisit some favourite or forgotten posts — or research your competitors’s social media technique.
From looking out Twitter usernames and mentions to discovering the preferred tweets from any consumer (together with your self), we’ll train you the ins and outs of Twitter’s semi-secret, super-powerful superior search instrument.
What is Twitter’s advanced search?
Twitter advanced search is a tool you can use to filter tweets by highly specific criteria.
Twitter superior search is the most effective factor about this platform, and nearly no person makes use of it
— David Perell (@david_perell) August 30, 2020
Twitter superior search has totally different powers throughout totally different platforms — you’ll have a special expertise utilizing it on cellular vs. desktop, for instance. And in the event you be taught sure key phrases, you’ll be able to carry out superior searches straight within the search bar.
Lastly, apps like Hootsuite Streams can add much more energy to your Twitter search arsenal. However we’ll get into that shortly.
Easy methods to advance search on Twitter
Looking out Twitter on desktop
Twitter’s desktop web site has its personal built-in superior search subject, which is a superb place to begin your sleuthing.
Right here’s how you can use it:
1. Carry out a easy search within the bar on the highest nook of the Twitter app.
2. Underneath the Search filters bar, navigate to the menu that claims Superior search.
3. Use the Phrases fields to begin your search. You possibly can select phrases, precise phrases or hashtags, and you can even select phrases or phrases you’d prefer to exclude from the search. You may also specify the language you need to search in.
4. Utilizing the Accounts tab, you’ll be able to seek for tweets that come from particular accounts, point out these accounts, or reply to these accounts.
5. Filters help you decide whether or not you need to see replies or authentic tweets solely. You may also select to point out tweets both with or with out hyperlinks.
6. Utilizing Engagement, you may get much more exact. You possibly can seek for tweets with greater than a sure variety of replies, likes or retweets.
7. With the Dates instrument, you’ll be able to add a selected day or vary of dates to go looking.
8. When you’ve used these parameters to slim down your search, click on Search. You possibly can view outcomes by reputation (Prime), chronology (Newest), individual (Folks) or media (Pictures or Movies).
You may also click on Superior Search once more to regulate the search parameters.
9. In case your search is one thing you’d prefer to verify in on once more sooner or later, simply save the parameters by clicking Save search. Twitter customers can save as much as 25 searches per account.
If the superior search choices really feel overwhelming, don’t fear: all of those fields are non-compulsory.
Looking out Twitter on cellular
First, the dangerous information: Twitter doesn’t at the moment provide a complicated search perform on its cellular app.
However there’s an incredible workaround. Simply be taught and use the related search operators from the desktop model and apply them to your search (or, higher but, bookmark this web page).
The next are some useful phrases to make use of whereas looking out. Many of those may be mixed to slim your search even additional.
|Kind this into the Twitter search bar…||…to return these outcomes|
|“precise phrase”||Searches for the precise phrase in citation marks|
|precise OR phrase||Searches for the phrases “precise” or “phrase” (or each)|
|coin -crypto||Searches for “coin” however not “crypto”|
|min_retweets:1000||Searches for tweets with a minimal of 1,000 retweets|
|min_faves:1000||Searches for tweets with a minimal of 1,000 likes|
|filter:verified||Reveals outcomes from verified customers. (This doesn’t at the moment embody customers who have been verified through Twitter Blue.)|
|from:hootsuite||Searches tweets from the Hootsuite account|
|to:hootsuite||Searches all tweets written in reply to the Hootsuite account|
|@hootsuite||Searches for Twitter mentions of the Hootsuite account|
|cheeseburger close to:vancouver inside:10km||Searches for any posts about cheeseburgers inside 10 kilometres of Vancouver. (And don’t fear, you need to use miles as a substitute by switching “km” to “mi”)|
|influencer filter:media||Searches for the phrase “influencer” and a picture or video|
|influencer -filter:retweets||Searches for the phrase “influencer” and filters out retweets|
|hootsuite filter:hyperlinks||Searches for tweets with the phrase “hootsuite” that hyperlink to an URL|
|social url:hootsuite||Searches for tweets with the phrase “social” and a URL with the phrase “hootsuite” inside it|
|hootsuite since:2015-12-21 till:2016-01-21||seek for tweets with the phrase “hootsuite” between December 21, 2015 and January 21, 2016.
You should use the since: and till: parameters unbiased of one another, too.
11 sensible methods to make use of superior Twitter search
As you’ll be able to see, you’ll be able to obtain a close to C.I.A.-level of precision when looking out the Twitter app. However why on earth would you need to?
There are many the explanation why you might need to use superior Twitter search to assist together with your model’s Twitter or total social technique.
Listed below are 11 causes to make use of superior Twitter search:
1. Monitor your mentions, even untagged ones
In case your model is making waves on Twitter, you’ll seemingly see loads of folks pop up in your mentions tab. However some folks could be speaking about you or your product with out truly tagging you.
Usually, these are essentially the most sincere customers, so organising a seek for your model’s identify is a clever choice. It’s nice to know what folks actually suppose — and hey, it’s not all the time dangerous information!
For those who Tweet greater than as soon as a day I can’t advocate Hootsuite sufficient. I can determine what all I’m tweeting for a day over my morning espresso pic.twitter.com/wdZ4sKCqvF
— Getawesome Gaming (@GetawesomeG) November 20, 2022
2. Discover the preferred tweets a couple of trending matter
For those who click on a trending hashtag, you won’t instantly perceive the context. However in the event you filter your outcomes utilizing search operators, you’ll be able to rapidly decide precisely what’s occurring.
Superior Twitter searches are nearly like cheat codes that can assist you determine what’s trending and why.
As a straightforward instance, strive looking for tweets about Taylor Swift which have a minimal of 10,000 retweets. The outcomes reveal that Ticketmaster could also be in some scorching water for the way they’ve dealt with gross sales of her upcoming tour.
3. Discover your individual in style tweets
Looking out your individual tweets may also assist you to discover content material that carried out properly previously. Attempt limiting your search to 100 likes and see what comes up.
This may be useful in the event you’re new to your model’s social media, establishing model tips or simply can’t bear in mind each tweet you’ve ever made.
4. Enhance your customer support
Establishing a saved search permits you to regulate what folks say about your model. This type of monitoring, often known as social listening, means you’ll be able to stage up your customer support when acceptable.
Clearly, don’t be a complete creep, however you’ll be able to nonetheless insert your self into conversations the place it feels acceptable.
@UberSupport does a superb job of creating certain their clients know they care, even when it’s one thing as small as complaining about cigarette smoke.
We’re sorry to listen to about this expertise and want to comply with up with you for extra data. Please present us together with your electronic mail deal with through DM so we will comply with up.
— Uber Help (@Uber_Support) November 20, 2022
5. Interact in dangerous replies
For those who’re an skilled social media supervisor, you recognize that risky replies are a fragile dance. However utilizing superior Twitter search may also help you grasp the artwork.
With such particular search instruments, it’s straightforward to seek out “receipts” — web slang for proof of hypocrisy. You would possibly be capable to discover your competitor going again on a promise or discover one thing that’s simply plain bizarre.
You may also usually discover pure hilarity, like this tweet from House X suggesting Elon Musk’s actual account was a fraud. The actual Elon Musk even replied to it! My head is spinning.
My fav tweet ever
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) September 17, 2018
6. Tune into your area of interest
Hyper-specific search instruments are an effective way to seek out like-minded folks to comply with.
Let’s say you run a DIY craft firm in Vancouver, BC. You should use a extremely focused search to seek out accounts close to you with related pursuits, then begin interacting.
7. Uncover developments
Attempting to develop your model or begin one thing new? You should use superior search phrases to find the preferred objects in a selected area of interest.
For instance, Twitter may also help you discover what folks suppose is the present cutest Etsy product, utilizing simply the variety of likes on the search time period. This might assist you to market your corporation, however it’s even useful earlier within the product growth section.
8. Analysis particular areas
Twitter superior search is a superb instrument to do market analysis. Certain, not everyone seems to be on Twitter — however sufficient persons are that it really works as a wonderful pattern measurement to analysis.
The search phrases and areas can be particular to your individual model’s wants, however let’s strive somewhat experiment of our personal. How many individuals in Edinburgh, Scotland, care concerning the Vancouver Canucks?
Nicely, in accordance with Twitter superior search — exactly one individual. However she’s made a wonderful drawing to show it.
9. Reply the decision
Superior search may also help you discover loads of potential shoppers in search of precisely what you promote — with out being too spammy.
Check out totally different search phrases to see who’s asking on your precise product. Attempt “in search of suggestions” with hyper-specific key phrases, and also you’ll seemingly discover a entire world of future clients.
10. Construct a case research
There are few social media platforms as brutally sincere as Twitter, making it a wonderful place to gauge public opinion a couple of sure matter.
For instance, 2022 was notoriously dangerous for airways dropping baggage because of the post-restriction journey surge.
Utilizing date-specific searches, you’ll be able to simply collect a normal overview of how an airline got here throughout on social media.
11. Throw it again
Discovering previous tweets can generally be an actual slog, notably in the event you’re manually scrolling again by years of information. Utilizing the date parameters, it’s attainable to seek out particular tweets inside seconds.
This may also help you discover sure milestones from your individual historical past and share them for Throwback Thursday and even key anniversaries. Dig round and see what you could find.
Getting ready to launch.
— Hootsuite 🦉 (@hootsuite) November 28, 2008
Professional tip: If you wish to be taught extra about different Twitter methods and options, try our weblog on the highest Twitter hacks.
Easy methods to use Hootsuite Streams to streamline your Twitter searches
Not focused on memorizing search operators or leaping by a half-dozen hoops each time you need to search Twitter? Hootsuite Streams is a superb strategy to streamline the method.
When you’ve signed up for an account, it’s extremely straightforward to begin looking out Twitter.
Right here’s how you can seek for key phrases or trending matters on desktop:
- Go to Streams, after which choose Twitter fast search on the left.
- Select your search question by choosing a trending matter from the short search checklist or coming into a key phrase. Then choose Enter on the keyboard to go looking by key phrase.
- Optionally, choose Save as Stream on the backside of the search outcomes to save lots of the content material as a brand new stream. The stream shows content material based mostly on that key phrase (not based mostly on location).
- Level to a tweet within the search outcomes to love, reply, retweet, or ship a direct message to that Twitter consumer. Choosing Like permits you to just like the tweet from a number of Twitter accounts.
Right here’s how you can seek for key phrases or trending matters on cellular:
- Go to Streams.
- Choose Search within the prime proper.
- Select your search question by choosing a trending matter from the developments checklist or by choosing Search Twitter, coming into a key phrase, after which choosing Search.Underneath the Tweets part of the outcomes checklist, choose Present extra to view all outcomes.
- Non-obligatory: Choose Save within the prime proper to save lots of the search as a stream.
Easy methods to seek for Twitter customers on desktop:
- Go to Streams, after which choose Twitter fast search on the left.
- Choose the Twitter icon, after which choose Discover Twitter Customers.
- Enter the username or Twitter account identify, after which choose Enter on the keyboard.
- Choose the identify or profile image to open the consumer’s profile web page, or choose the Comply with button to comply with the consumer.
Right here’s how you can seek for Twitter customers on cellular:
- Go to Streams and choose Search within the prime proper.
- Choose Search Twitter, enter a username or different search question, after which choose Search in your keypad.
- Scroll right down to view the outcomes beneath the Folks part. Choose Present extra to view all outcomes for Twitter customers.
Often requested questions on Twitter superior search
Are you able to search non-public Twitter accounts?
Twitter doesn’t help you search non-public accounts in the event you’re not already following the account. There’s no workaround to see tweets from non-public accounts.
Can you utilize Twitter superior search on cellular?
Twitter doesn’t at the moment provide a complicated search perform on its cellular app, however there’s an incredible different. Simply be taught and use the related search operators from the desktop model and apply them to your search.
How do I discover somebody’s hottest tweets?
Whereas there was once a web site known as Favstar that made it straightforward to see a consumer’s prime tweets, that app not exists. As an alternative, you’ll have to make use of superior search to seek out the highest tweets from a selected consumer or a couple of particular matter.
Use the superior searches on Twitter desktop, use the codes “min_retweets:” and “min_faves:” or just use Hootsuite Streams to take a deep dive.
Can I search Twitter for images or movies?
If you wish to discover movies or photos associated to a sure matter or consumer, add “filter:media” to your search phrases. This may deliver up the entire related media in your search outcomes.
Is it higher to verify the Prime tab or the Newest tab?
For those who’re in search of previous tweets, it would really feel counterintuitive to go looking the Newest tab, however it’s nonetheless going to provide the most outcomes.
The Prime tab makes use of Twitter’s algorithm to serve you the most effective, hottest content material. However let’s say you’re in search of considered one of your organization’s first tweets, earlier than you had developed a following.
Chances are high, the early tweets received’t have a lot traction, which means you need the entire tweets in chronological order. That’s the place the Newest tab is available in.
Save time by utilizing Hootsuite to handle your Twitter presence alongside your different social channels. You possibly can run contests, share movies, schedule posts, and monitor your efforts — all from one handy dashboard! Attempt it without cost at the moment.
Do it higher with Hootsuite, the all-in-one social media instrument. Keep up to the mark, develop, and beat the competitors.