How one can Discover Outdated Tweets: 4 Tried-And-True Strategies
Do you ever revisit your previous tweets? Twitter has been round since 2006 — when you have been an early adopter, you’d in all probability be shocked to see a few of the content material you as soon as thought was cool and acceptable to share.
Reviewing your previous tweets will assist you to preserve your model picture in examine, and it ought to be a part of your common social media audits.
On this put up, we go over the best way to seek for previous tweets and delete them.
Bonus: Download the free 30-day plan to grow your Twitter following fast, a daily workbook that will help you establish a Twitter marketing routine and track your growth, so you can show your boss real results after one month.
Why is keeping track of old tweets important?
If, like me, you joined Twitter in its very early years with no idea what it was really about, you might be wondering how to find old tweets. What did you have to say in the halcyon days of 2007? Are irrelevant or potentially embarrassing tweets lingering on your timeline?
Enjoying the free wireless at YVR.
— Christina Newberry (@ckjnewberry) March 5, 2009
Singing the praises of free wifi at a serious worldwide airport (nevermind calling it “wi-fi”) seems to be somewhat goofy from the absolutely linked days of 2022.
After all, this random tweet isn’t going to get me in any bother. But when my timeline have been plagued by this type of factor, I’d in all probability wish to go in and clear it up. It may also be a good suggestion to skinny out a few of my overzealous grammar assaults and in depth retweeting from the early 2010s.
We’re not advocates of cancel tradition, or of hiding out of your previous. However, realistically, there are many causes you’d wish to delete previous content material out of your Twitter timeline.
Perhaps you began with a private Twitter account and now wish to use it for enterprise functions. Perhaps you’re job searching and know potential employers might be checking you out on social. Or possibly you mentioned some issues if you have been younger that you’ve got grown as much as perceive weren’t so smart.
Hold studying to learn the way to seek for previous tweets and delete them. Take into account that all of those strategies delete your tweets from Twitter itself and from retweets and quote tweets created with the fashionable Twitter choices. If somebody copy and pasted a part of your tweet (like we did for old fashioned RTs and MTs) or screencapped it, the content material is there to remain.
How one can discover previous tweets: 4 Strategies
Technique 1: Twitter superior search
Twitter’s advanced search feature is the simplest option to search previous tweets and doesn’t require you to provide any third-party apps entry to your account.
1. Log in to your Twitter account and go to Twitter’s advanced search page.
2. Below the Accounts subheading, enter your username into the From these accounts area.
3. Enter no matter data you possibly can keep in mind concerning the tweet(s) you’re on the lookout for. This might be a key phrase or phrase, a hashtag, an account you replied to or talked about, and/or a particular date vary.
The date choice choices return to 2006, when Twitter first launched.
4. Click on Search. Within the search outcomes, you’ll see an inventory of high tweets from that interval.
5. To see each tweet from that interval, click on on the Newest tab. This could return an inventory of each tweet you despatched between the from and till dates you specified, in reverse chronological order.
You can even use the tabs throughout the highest of the display to search for tweets that include pictures or movies.
Technique 2: Obtain an entire archive of your tweets
Downloading an archive of your tweets every now and then is nice social media apply usually. It’s additionally a good way to look your whole file of previous tweets. Right here’s the best way to see previous tweets utilizing the Twitter archive:
1. Go to https://twitter.com/settings/account
2. Below Your Account click on on Obtain an archive of your knowledge. When prompted, re-enter your password and select a verification technique.
3. Below Twitter knowledge, click on Request archive.
3. It may possibly take a few days for Twitter to arrange your archive. When it’s prepared, you’ll get a push notification and an e mail to let you recognize.
4. Click on on the notification to obtain your archive. Or, go to again to https://twitter.com/settings/account and click on on Obtain an archive of your knowledge below Your Account.
5. Click on Obtain archive to get a .zip file of all of your Twitter exercise, together with all of your previous tweets.
6. After getting the .zip file in your desktop, open the file referred to as Your archive.html. You’ll see a abstract of all of your exercise on Twitter. To see all of your previous tweets, click on Tweets.
You’ll see an inventory of all of your previous tweets, in reverse chronological order. You should use the search field and filters on the suitable of the web page to slim your search, or use the tabs throughout the highest to particularly see your replies and retweets.
Every tweet in your downloaded archive features a hyperlink to the reside tweet on Twitter for straightforward entry.
Technique 3: Use an app to see your previous tweets on one scrollable web page
When you don’t wish to wait to obtain your whole Twitter archive, right here’s the best way to search for previous tweets utilizing a third-party service. Choices like AllMyTweets assist you to see your 3200(-ish) newest tweets virtually instantaneously in simply scrollable kind.
The 3200 tweets restrict is imposed by Twitter’s API. When you tweet as soon as a day, that 3200-tweet view will take you again almost 9 years. However when you’re like Hootsuite and take part in loads of Twitter chats, it can in all probability take you again lower than two years.
Nonetheless, it’s place to start out your seek for previous tweets.
1. Go to AllMyTweets and log in utilizing your Twitter account. You’ll should grant AllMyTweets entry to your Twitter account, however you possibly can all the time revoke this entry later.
2. When you’re logged in , you possibly can search for your individual previous tweets or another person’s. Enter the username you’d prefer to search for previous tweets for.
4. Scroll by way of the tweets, which seem in reverse-chronological order. Or use the search choice in your browser to search for a particular key phrase, phrase, and even emoji.
Technique 4: Use the Wayback Machine
What if the tweet you’re on the lookout for has been deleted, and also you don’t have entry to the Twitter archive for the account it was despatched from?
You may need some luck trying to find it utilizing the Wayback Machine. It doesn’t archive particular person tweets, however it does have screenshots of common Twitter pages from particular dates.
Observe: This simply goes to point out you that deleting tweets is rarely a foolproof option to purge them from the web.
Right here’s the best way to seek for previous tweets utilizing the Wayback Machine:
1. Go to the Wayback Machine. Within the search bar on the high, enter http://twitter.com/[username], changing [username] with the account you wish to search.
2. Click on Browse Historical past. The Wayback Machine will current you with each screenshot it has of that consumer’s Twitter web page, organized by yr and day.
3. Choose which yr you’d prefer to see tweets from within the timeline on the high of the display. Then click on on a date bubble.
4. The Wayback Machine will present you a screenshot of the consumer’s Twitter web page precisely because it appeared on that day. Most aged screenshots of Twitter will include the primary 20 or so tweets that appeared on the web page that day, however received’t allow you to scroll to see older tweets. For instance, right here’s how Hootsuite’s Twitter web page seemed on August 24, 2014:
How one can delete previous tweets
Keep in mind, as we simply illustrated with the Wayback Machine, it’s type of unimaginable to delete one thing as soon as it hits the web. That mentioned, you possibly can delete your Twitter content material from Twitter, which actually makes them a lot tougher for somebody to search out with out actually digging.
Technique 1: Delete previous tweets manually
If you wish to delete previous tweets instantly on Twitter, you’ll have to take action one after the other. There’s no native choice to delete a number of tweets. Right here’s the way it works.
- In your profile web page, or utilizing your Twitter archive, find the tweet you wish to delete.
- Click on the three dots (extra) icon on the high proper of the tweet.
- Click on Delete.
And right here’s the best way to delete one thing you Retweeted:
- In your profile web page, scroll to the merchandise you Retweeted.
- Hover your cursor over the Retweet icon.
- Click on Undo Retweet.
Technique 2: Mass delete previous tweets
As an alternative of trying to find particular gadgets in your timeline, it would typically be simpler to mass delete tweets.
Like we mentioned above, there’s no native choice to do that inside Twitter, however there are apps that may assist you to delete previous tweets in bulk.
A number of the greatest choices embody:
- TweetDelete, which lets you mass delete tweets based mostly on how previous they’re or based mostly on particular key phrases or phrases.
- TweetDeleter, which lets you delete previous tweets based mostly on key phrases, date, kind, and media. A bonus of TweetDeleter is that it retains your previous tweets in a personal archive, so that they’re faraway from Twitter however nonetheless accessible to you.
- Semiphemeral lets you mass delete previous tweets whereas holding those who have a particular stage of engagement. You can even choose particular person tweets to avoid wasting from deletion.
Utilizing any third-party app requires you to grant the app entry to your Twitter account. It’s a good suggestion to revoke that entry when you’ve achieved every part you have to do.
Technique 3: Delete previous tweets robotically
Perhaps you like to retweet issues however don’t need these tweets to reside in your timeline perpetually. Or possibly you solely wish to preserve tweets in your timeline that hit a sure stage of engagement.
On this case, an automated delete service is an effective choice. All the mass deletion instruments above additionally assist you to set ongoing duties that may delete tweets robotically over time.
For instance, right here’s how the continued Twitter deletion duties setup seems to be in Semiphemeral.
Technique 4: The (virtually) nuclear choice
WARNING: This technique lets you preserve your username, however you’ll lose all of your followers. That is really an account reset. Use this technique solely as a final resort.
When you actually desire a contemporary begin on Twitter, you possibly can fully wipe your account and begin over. To take action, you’ll have to create a brand new account with a short lived username, delete your previous account, after which do a username switcheroo.
This technique just isn’t for the faint of coronary heart! However when you actually wish to scrap every part, right here’s the way it works.
- Create a brand new Twitter account with a brand new (short-term) username.
- Delete your present Twitter account. (Yikes! Actually. We imply it once we say this technique isn’t any joke.) As soon as the account is deleted your username turns into accessible, so do that subsequent half quick.
- Change the identify of your new account with the short-term username to your earlier username:
- From the profile web page, click on the three dots (extra) icon.
- Click on Settings and privateness.
- Click on Your account.
- Click on Account data and make sure your password,
- Click on Username, then enter your authentic username.
That’s it. You now have a brand-new Twitter account with 0 tweets – and 0 followers! – however the slate is wiped completely clear.
Use Hootsuite to handle your Twitter accounts alongside all of your different social media profiles. From a single dashboard, you possibly can monitor your opponents, develop your followers, schedule tweets, and analyze your efficiency. Strive it free immediately.
Do it higher with Hootsuite, the all-in-one social media toolkit. Keep up to the mark, develop, and beat the competitors.